Presented virtually, DHPSNY’s online courses promote collaborative learning and networking. Free for New York institutions, DHPSNY’s programs address the needs of professionals and volunteers at institutions that manage unique library research materials and historical records, including libraries, archives, and museums.
DHPSNY’s online courses are presented through Canvas LMS. Canvas LMS is an open and reliable web-based software that allows institutions to manage digital learning, educators to create and present online learning materials and assess student learning, and students to engage in courses and receive feedback about skill development and learning achievement. Participants will receive instructions on how to join their Canvas Classroom upon registration.
See below for descriptions and registration for upcoming online courses.
Upcoming Online Courses
Understanding the 10 Agents of Deterioration
Understanding the 10 Agents of Deterioration is a 2-week, virtual course that will cover basic knowledge needed to identify and understand the 10 Agents of Deterioration that may threaten your collections: Light; Incorrect Temperature; Incorrect Relative Humidity; Fire; Water; Pests; Pollutants; Physical Forces; Theft & Vandalism; and Custodial Neglect. Risk assessment and mitigation strategies will also be discussed.
This online course is intended for individuals who manage cultural collections, with a focus on those who are new to archival preservation, who may not have had formal preservation training, or who are looking to brush up on their knowledge.
- Amanda Murray, Preservation Specialist, DHPSNY
- Dyani Feige, Director of Preservation Services, CCAHA
- Emilia Boehm Emig, Preservation Specialist, CCAHA
- Kate Philipson, Archives Specialist, DHPSNY
- Liyah Desher, Education & Outreach Specialist, DHPSNY
Dates: Monday, September 27 - Friday, October 8, 2021
Upon completion of the DHPSNY Understanding the 10 Agents of Deterioration Online Course, participants will:
- have an increased awareness of what the 10 agents of deterioration are and the risks they pose to collections
- gain an understanding of basic strategies to manage and/or mitigate these risks
- be able to successfully implement planning tools such as security and disaster recovery plans at their institution
Register by Sunday, September 19, 2020. Please note that this program has limited registration and is only offered to constituents representing institutions in New York. If you are registering from outside of New York State, your registration may be denied.
DHPSNY has hosted programs on a range of topics. Past topics have included:
- Archival Basics
- Preserving Photographic Collections
- Fundraising for Preservation and Conservation
- Audiovisual Preservation
- Preservation Planning
- Mold Prevention
- Collections Processing
- Disaster Response and Recovery
- Paper Collections Care